It's all in the name.......

Disclaimer: The names mentioned below is fictional and any resemblance to any person or object in real life is unintended and purely coincidental.

MacArthur Mathai, Grocery Saajan ,Walmart Varghese, Soccer Saji, Burlington Babu. Some of these names have sparked an interest in me toward wondering how all these start. Either I have way too much time on hand or straying into the lighter side of life is therapeutic for me. From time to time I find my curios mind engaging in such trivial thoughts. I cannot help but think why it is that whether it’s New York or Kozhencherry some things don’t just change.
Things seem the same even when I am in Ranny- a quiet corner of the globe.Benz Shaji, Karate Biju , Rickshaw Simon and Kottayam Kurian were all familiar characters. It is even more interesting to note that this occurrence is mostly seen in the Malayali community. Most of the time these names are so familiar that it find it’s way into our daily conversations.
Maybe when people move to a particular place or choose a particular profession or hobby there is a mysterious voice that speaks over them “And from now on thou shall be called Soccer Saji…..”
Maybe the mind enjoys these occasional straying and sarcasm is just so embedded within the very grain of our being. I must confess that I have enjoyed these rhyming names that have helped me innumerable times to remember who is who and even what they do. I am pretty sure that there would be a nick name floating around for me as well ;) Anyways I’m gonna get off blog train now and head in the direction of Council Rd Kuriakose’s shop ;)

3 comments:

DM said...

It's probably because people like you make up names like Miyagi Mathew!

Don't forget slapper simon!!

SMJ said...

Hahahaha there you go oh wise one. I completely agree....fiendish ai'nt it??

Lancaster Gardener said...

I see it as a very strange sociological phenomenon. My neighbor is called "Kambi Padam Thambi" I lovingly call him "Kambi-chaya".